Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Crispy Calamari Salad with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

I was watching the cooking on our usual weekday nights after dinner when I stumbled upon celebrity chef Ching's cooking show "Easy Chinese". She was preparing some simple dishes for a party and her calamari salad immediately caught my attention.

The next morning, I went to the wet market to buy the squid so that I can prepare for dinner. I also prepared some salad and celery sticks to go with it as the calamari rings are deep-fried.

Crispy calamari rings

Recipe adapted from Ching, with some modifications

Ingredients:

Squid, cleaned and cut into rings

For the batter:

3 eggs, lightly beaten

5 tablespoons of potato starch (I used corn starch instead)

2 tablespoons of rice flour 

Pinch of salt

Pinch of paprika powder


Method:

1. Whisk together the eggs, potato starch, rice flour, salt and paprika powder.
2. Coat each squid ring well with the batter. 
3. Heat up oil in the wok. Deep fry the coated squid rings until a light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.

Home made honey mustard dipping sauce

1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon of mayonnaise

1 tablespoon of honey

Method:

Mix together all the ingredients. Adjust according to taste.


Tips:

1. Remember to pat dry your squid rings before dipping in the batter.







No comments:

Post a Comment